Wednesday 21 June 2017

Queen's birthday weekend part 1


Life is such a strange thing. When you think about it, most of us are stuck in this pattern or routine which we can't seem to escape from. We live each day in this rhythm and most can't seem to drop a beat. They ride each wave as they come yet don't move when the sea is calm.

It's funny that I say this because I'm so guilty of it. I tend to stick to what I know and only work around some things rather than use all of my time efficiently. I used to see life as this massive adventure waiting for me but I've found myself doing things because I have to rather than because I want to.

It's a battle I have to deal as my lazy ass doesn't seem to have the energy to do things that I love and end up treating them as chores instead of hobbies. How silly does that sound now that I've put it down in words? RIGHT?

I did however end up finding a bit of time to actually go out there and enjoy the little things in life. With  the Queen's birthday public holiday, I grabbed that extra day with both hands and decided to put my exploring jacket on!

Next stop: DANDENONG RANGES!

Drove just over an hour to get to this beautiful and welcoming area full of green and wildlife. The first thing on our agenda was Sherbrooke Falls Walk!

Sherbrooke Falls Walk: A 2..4 Kilometres (return) track which is fairly easy with fairly flat gravel pathway. Started and ended at the Sherbrooke Pinic Ground.







Note: Slippery and muddy when wet including some deep shoe sinking areas along the track. Gumboots would be your best friend!


Very family friendly as tracks are suitable for all ages - just keep your kids from climbing on fallen trunks as they are slippery and they will end up with a muddy bum (saw it happen to this girl - the poor thing was freezing after)



After the hike we went down to Grants Picnic Ground (There's a lot of picnic areas around that place)

Grants Picnic Ground: Probably the biggest attraction of the Dandenong Ranges simply because it allows you to get closer to nature. You'd think that Cockatoos, Rosellas and Parrots would stay well away from loud humans but these guys know exactly where to come get a feed! Being only place where hand feeding native birds is permitted, it is a slice of heaven for animal lovers who would love to get greeted by a friendly pair of wings. A token from the gift shop gives you a tray of seeds to hold while the birds happily make themselves comfortable on your shoulder or head!


As it is winter, the night made an early appearance which meant one thing!

DINNER TIME!



A cute little restaurant/cafe (to be honest with you, I'm not quite sure as I am not fancy *struggles*)
Just the look of the place was enough to convince me to go in.


Located in the village of Sassafras, this classy establishment full of charm provided beautiful views of nature. Having natural light shine through made this place extremely relaxing and comfortable.

The friendly staff are accommodating in every way. Even though we got there late - we didn't realize that it was a breakfast to lunch place - they still worked around us and were able to provide us with an early dinner!



And don't even get me started on the food! Omg I'm still dreaming about it! It was delicious and left me wanting more! The cool thing is that they are a venue that provide services for special events like weddings, birthdays and functions!

Fortnums Restaurant
Opening times: 11:00am to 4:00pm
Location: Sassafras
Karine's rating: 8.9/10

So that's it from me for now, I thought I'd break up this trip into  two parts
Part 1 - Sunday and Part 2 - Monday

A big shoutout to my best mate Rob for tagging along and being my photographer! Much appreciated!

If you've ever wanted to visit Melbourne, I cannot recommend the Dandenong Ranges enough! Pure beauty and full of activities for the whole family!

Til next time, lots of love,

Karine xx


P.s. Stay tuned for part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and for commenting! I read and will reply to every single one! Please leave a link to your blog and I will be sure to check it out as well! :) xx